Saturday, July 27, 2013


My purpose in establishing this blog is four-fold:

1. To enter public discourse on topics I care deeply about, such as culture, politics and social policy.

2.  To develop my skill as a writer, and to model that development.

3.  To respond to the literature I am reading, and in responding, to better understand and appreciate that literature.

4.  In doing all of the above, to leverage the wonderful new power of electronic media.

This blog contains my personal opinions.  Because I am an evangelical Christian, my opinions are informed by my personal worldview as a Christian. This occurs in every area of my social, professional and intellectual life. Because I am a public school teacher, however, there are ethical and legal boundaries regarding my expression in the classroom of ideas that are specifically religious in nature. This does not mean, however, that I may not comment upon a matter from a Christian perspective, as long I do not seek to compel, or to coerce in any way, my students to adopt my own perspective. This I would never want to do, anyway. On occasion, I may also comment upon something we are discussing from a Biblical perspective without making specific reference to the Bible. It is my intention to honor the personal belief system of each of my students. In fact, I encourage each student to develop his or her own beliefs, drawing from the faith system of his or her own personal choice and also from the literature we will cover in this class. As it happens, the literature we cover in Senior English is, in most instances, expressly Christian (at least until the Romantic and Modern Periods). For example, we will objectively identify elements of Christian and Pagan thought in the first works of literature we examine from the Anglo-Saxon Period. Also, the literature of all periods is replete with allusions to the Bible. The literature of the Middle Ages (such as The Canterbury Tales) is understandable only if one has a familiarity with the practices of the Roman Catholic Church (and the history of the church in European affairs and the Crusades).  So, religion will be discussed in class, simply because it was extremely important to the people who were producing and reading the literature we will be reading. The point I am making about this blog, however, is this: in this blog, I take the liberty of expressing my personal beliefs beyond the boundaries of what would be appropriate for the classroom. I will never hold you, as a student, responsible for any of the content from this blog. You are however welcomed to visit this blog and to comment on any matter expressed herein.  I will always honor your opinion, while I may disagree with it, or I may offer suggestions regarding how you express your opinion.  I am specifically interested in helping you learn to express your opinion in a skillful and artful manner, whether I agree with it or not.

Here are some helpful links for guidelines in understanding your religious rights in a public school:


No comments:

Post a Comment